Search - Events
Search - Categories
Search - Contacts
Search - Content
Search - News Feeds
Search - Web Links

commitee adjustment


Township Council has delegated the authority to make decisions on minor variances, alterations to legal non-conforming uses and structures, severances and easement requests to the Committee of Adjustment. The Committee of Adjustment panel composed of five members of the public and hears each application including any public input received and then makes a decision on each application. The Committee of Adjustment members for the 2019-2023 term are:

  • Garry Balicki
  • Jeannine de Ruiter
  • Frank De Ruyte
  • Lars Bjerno
  • Mark Feduck

All hearings are open to the public and are held on the 3rd Wednesday each month at 4 pm in the Council Chambers at the Township offices (provided applications are received). The 2020 Committee of Adjustment Hearing Schedule can be found here.

Information regarding what to expect at a Committee of Adjustment hearing can be found in the Committee of Adjustment Brochure.

Information regarding current applications to be heard by the Committee of Adjustment can be found under the Public Notices section. 

What is a Minor Variance?

A minor variance is a minor deviation or relief from the provisions of the Zoning Bylaw. A variance can apply to land requirements (such as lot area and lot frontage), building or structure requirements (such as height or setbacks) or the use of land. A minor variance may be granted provided that, in the opinion of the Committee of Adjustment, the request is minor in nature, is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure and the general intent and purpose of the Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw are maintained. Information regarding the minor variance process can be found in the Minor Variance Brochure.

What is Consent?

A consent is the authorization to create new lots (land severance), right-of-way and easements, add to an existing lot, change lot boundaries, enter into a mortgage or lease in excess of 21 years, and validate title and proceed with a power of sale. Policies regarding the creation or lots, right-of-way or easements, or boundary adjustments can be found in the Township’s Official Plan and minimum lot requirements are governed by the Township’s Zoning Bylaw. Information regarding the consent process can be found in the Consent Brochure.